Friday, January 29, 2016

Unit 19: Preparing

The only thing worse than trying to teach sick kids, is a sick Momma trying to teach kids! This week Boo's feeling fine again, because she decided to give her nasty cold to me! I hate teaching school when I'm sick, but I also hate skipping school when the kids are feeling ok. So I suffered (and coughed) through it. A lot of days Sis was able to do most of her work independently with just a little help from me.

History: Sis is still learning about the life of Christ in history. This week we also learned about his death and resurrection. Every day we curl up on the couch and read a chapter from our Grandpa's Box book for our history story and Sis reads aloud to me from Little Miriam of Galilee (which we finished this week!)



Sis' project was really simple this week. She had to make a clock showing the events of the day Jesus was crucified leading up to his death on the cross. We just used white construction paper to make our clock and then attached a "pie piece" cover with a brad.

At the end of the week we had a movie day and watched the Gospel of John. Sis got to watch a lot of the stories of the life of Jesus that we have learned the past 2 weeks. This is one of my favorite Bible movies, because it's a word for word reading of the book of John nothing added, but the acting really brings it to life.

Math: Sis is doing long division in math. I really don't like the way MathUsee teaches it! I love MUS as a whole, but sometimes the methods seem harder to me. I was rebellious and decided to just teach her the way I was taught in school, hopefully it doesn't mess up her entire math future! Hey it's worked for me all these years though, I don't see why we have to change and complicate it by adding unnecessary steps! I understand the purpose is to help them see "why"they're doing what they're doing when they divide. It seems to just make it more confusing to me though. If it aint broke don't fix it! Here's is an example of what a MUS long division problem with checking is suppose to look like! I prefer just to write "107" on top for the answer and multiply normally to check.

Science: In science we finished up the respiratory system. Next week we start learning about blood.



Just for fun we all did a project together this week. We made our own beads and bracelets from air dry clay using Crayola Beadola bead maker. They had a blast with this. They had to form the beads out of clay, make designs on them using the molds, then paint them and string them.  











  Here's a short Video of how it worked!



No comments:

Post a Comment