Saturday, November 7, 2015

MFW 1st grade : Week 9 (PART 1)

I called this post week 9 (part 1.) because I decided to spread week 9 over 2 weeks, mostly because the phonics moves really fast this week. Boo was suppose to learn a new phonics sounds every day this week and that is just too much for her brain to handle right now. Plus we skipped quite a few suggested things last week that I would like to catch up on esp some of the fun projects.

For reading we focused on /ar/ as in "car" and also learned /or/ as in "corn." We will hold off on all the other new sounds we were suppose to learn until next week.

In our art book, Usborn's, "I Can Draw Animals," we learned how to draw a dolphin. Boo has been having so much fun doing her weekly drawing. I'm so glad that I added this to her week.
Our Proverb for this week was "A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control." In our 5 min devotion book. We read about "angry hippos." How they look innocent but are actually one of the most vicious animals in the African rivers. They lash out with their sharp teeth and over turn boats. Some people are like angry hippos and they use their words and actions to attack others when they are angry. God wants us to keep ourselves under control when we are angry and treat others the way he wants us to.

 


In science we learned about thunder and lightning, but we also went back to rain from last week. We talked more about the water cycle. We filled up a glass with water, marker the water level and placed it in a sunny window. We will measure how much has evaporated over the next week.






One of the fun math projects we skipped last week was to play "Sunshine Cafe." The instructions were to set up a play "cafe," for lunch time and have Boo serve lunch and figure everyone's bills.We decided to change it up a bit. We have a serious American Girl doll obsession over here, so I knew all the girls would want in on the fun if we used this assignment to play AG. I helped Boo make her menu and price her food items. The all the girls set up a table and decorated. Boo took all the orders, "cooked" the food, and served the customers. Then I helped her add up and pass out the cute little bills that our curriculum came with. This game was a huge hit. We all had so much fun and Boo got to practice her addition. I absolutely love having a house full of little girls and I love that even though they all have a 3 year gap in age they all 3 like to play together. Occasionally, Sis goes off to read on her own (bc she's a book worm,) but the majority of their time is spent doing things together. Sure let's be real they argue, tattle, and sometimes want to kill each other (all that stuff sisters do) but they really are best friends. It's a rare to find them each doing their own thing. If one gets out a coloring book, they all color. If one is doing a puzzle, they all go get puzzles! They watch tv together, play dolls, sleep together. Nothing makes my heart happier than to know that no matter where we are in life they will always have each other.
The funny thing is that growing up (and my family can testify to this) I ALWAYS said "when I grow up I'm gonna get married and have 3 girls!" (I'm intentionally leaving out the part about we will live in a mansion and have 2 standard poodles...that was before I was sanctified .lol) I would draw cartoons of my future husband and kids and write stories about them (I always wanted to be a writer..too) Maybe I just always knew what I was destined and created for..or maybe a good and gracious God just decided to grant a little girl the desires of her heart. I am truly grateful for these little ladies He has blessed me with. 


No comments:

Post a Comment