Friday, December 4, 2015

Christmas Advent Calendar and Nativity Reviews

For years now, ever since our first child was little we have done a Christmas countdown of some kind. We've made our own out of construction paper, we've done chain links, the store bought candy ones, a wooden one with little boxes to fill with candy, etc. last year we used our elf. He brought candy and a card with a number counting down each morning.


I wanted to share two things I'm excited to be using this year: The first is a wooden Nativity Advent calendar from Family Christian Stores. These large wooden calendars can get expensive (definitely more than a disposable cardboard one or a home made one, but I think it's worth the $$ esp if you can find one on after Christmas clearance) Here's why I love this calendar. I got this calendar last year and used it in my classroom at church, but this is the first year I will be using it at home with my girls. I love that it is sturdy and well made, not like some of the cardboard store bought ones. It will last for years to come so you get your moneys worth. I also like that it hangs nicely on the wall. I can hang it up high enough that baby bear can't get onto it. So how it works is real simple. There is a little booklet that goes with the calendar. It has a very short paragraph of the Christmas story to read each day. Inside of the boxes are cute little wooden ornaments that go along with the paragraph. The girls take turns and each day one of them gets to open the box for that day and hang the ornament on the nativity scene. In the past we had a wooden church advent with little boxes, but you had to fill the tiny boxes with treats. It was really hard trying to find something that was small enough to fit, plus cost extra $$ for candy.I like that I don't have to buy tons of Christmas candy, but they are just as excited to open the next box. Plus they get to hear the Christmas story rather than just finding a piece of candy. Advent calendar time has become the highlight of our school day this past week. I don't know if they still sell this exact calendar in stores, but I definitely recommend investing in this type of calendar.

An added bonus is that this nativity also has a sturdy wooden shelf that is perfect for sitting our elf on so this is his home during the day time!

Secondly, I am so excited to be using "What God Wants For Christmas" this year with my girls. It's just so stinkin cute to me and perfect especially for younger ones. This isn't a month long advent calendar. Its an interactive retelling of the nativity story that takes only 7 days.
Basically it's a story book that tells the Christmas story and a nativity scene with little ceramic figurines. There are 7 gift boxes to be opened, one a day for 7 days and 1 start box. The starter box reads " Pull out this box to begin an adventure, one that's foretold in God's Holy Scripture." Inside that box are 2 plastic corner pieces that holds the nativity scene together and allows it to stand on its own, plus 2 rubber bracelets that say "What God Wants for Christmas." (the bracelets are actually a spoiler and have the answer on them so I would wait until day 7 to give them to the kids)


Inside the other 7 boxes are the figurines to be added to the nativity.


Each day as the story is read anticipation is built and it ends asking the question what does God want for Christmas?  The whole week the kids are guessing what could God possibly want for Christmas? Some of the answers I've gotten "nothing, because God already has everything." "maybe the world?" "love?" It keeps them guessing and thinking about it all week.

On day 6 the nativity scene is complete and finally on day 7 they get to open the 7th box that answers the question "What does God want for Christmas." The inside of that box is a mirror and the answer is God wants you!

A quote form the book reads "Me?" you ask. "Why is this so? I can not wrap me and put on a bow!" "No you cannot: but what you can give are the choices you make and the life that you live." Then it goes on about how God wants you to know Him, worship him. and choose everyday to live your life for Him. I love this so much! The back of the booklet has scriptures to use on leading a child to Christ. What God Wants For Christmas can be found at Family Christian Stores for $15-$20 and the newer version comes with an audio Cd too!

10 comments:

  1. Hi Becky, I have the same advent calendar. We have used it for years but this year we misplaced the booklet that explains where the story characters hang from. Could you possibly share that info with me? Odd question, I know. Thanks! Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same request, my wife used to do the readings with her mother and can't find the book. Now she wants to do the same with our daughter. Can you help?

      Thanks!

      Delete
    2. I need the same- my booklet has gotten wet and now I'm not able to open it without tearing it- I have looked online and can not find the booklet

      Delete
  2. I have the same nativity calendar and can't find my brochure. Can you post the daily readings? Thank you! Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you still have the Nativity calendar on top and would you be willing to sell it? I have been looking for over a year for one like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am hoping you might be able to help me. I too have the wooden nativity advent calendar I used for my kids. They are now 18, 24 and 29 but I still put it out (no grandbabies yet). I hung it in my kitchen this year and the little booklet must have fallen into the trashcan that was also on that wall! And of course this would be the one week the 18 year old remembers trash day!! I am so upset. Is there any chance you can make a copy or email me a pic of the booklet? I would gladly pay you for any cost plus postage. Everyone is saying just read the story from the Bible but I like how its worded to keep a child’s interest. The company is no longer in business so I cant contact them. I would sp appreciate your help. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wondering if anyone has found the booklet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wondering if anyone has found the booklet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am wondering about the booklet also?

    ReplyDelete
  8. To everyone commenting about the booklet. I also asked about it on here in 2019 and never got a response. I did locate the advent calendar on eBay with the complete booklet displayed. I was able to type up the story from that booklet and would be glad to share with you so you can make one too. What I made also shows the day and placement of each ornament. If you’d like to see what I did and make your own copy email me at - tammylay80@aol.com and I will email a picture of what I did. It’s not the booklet but you’ll be able to continue to use the advent calendar just like before.
    Blessing in the new year - Tammy

    ReplyDelete